Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tarahumara within me, Run Strong!

I’m not sure what’s changed in me. I don’t know if it was the rollercoaster that was 2008 or maybe the sudden awareness that the only guarantee is that nothing is guaranteed. Maybe it’s the uber-awareness that minutes are precious and the next day may never come or even, quite possibly, my own sort of journey to find my personal limits. Whatever it is, I feel an inner frenzy to push myself further than ever before and to step out of my comfort zone in every aspect of my life. I seem to be on an incessant quest to find the last straw. I have an Ironman distance race in October, something I never even pondered until this year, and lately I have been contemplating the physicality of a 100 mile foot race.

And that is how I started yesterday’s run, with these thoughts swirling in my head. I needed a challenge. I needed to feel the pavement, to have my legs beg for mercy. I wanted the sweat to cover every inch of fabric and to feel the heat of the sun taunting me to quit. I felt the surge of adrenaline. I felt my inner Raramuri (go ahead. Google it!) fighting to be set free. I sprinted the first hill and then did it 5 more times just to prove I could. I may have even let out a war cry at the top. From there, I continued on at a blistering pace, jumping roots and dodging vines. I climbed over a fallen tree and raced the stream for a good mile. The blood was pulsing through my veins and the sun could not stop me. I was a warrior, running to conquer new territory. I was an indian chasing the deer that would be dinner. 9 miles later, I was spent. Wasted. Completely DONE.

Hot? Absolutely!

Painful? Most definitely.

Smart? Eh…. That’s debatable.

Liberating? Amazing? Satisfying? Unquestionably!

Don’t misunderstand. I don’t think everyone should go run in the heat of the Florida noon sun or do crazy (stupid) workouts or even push themselves to complete exhaustion. I do, however, recommend stepping out of the comfort zone and finding the “life” that dwells within. I think there’s great value in looking the challenge square in the face and never backing down. Maybe it’s just signing up for a race, running a new, harder course, or even trying a new time of day or a new running group. Whatever it is, DO IT!

Look long and hard at the path ahead. If it looks easy, don’t go that way.

If, however, you look out and wonder how the hell you are ever going to cross the terrain in front of you, then press on.

You know you are right on course.

Take the baton and run with all your heart!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww yeah Becca... LOVE IT! And I can feel it through your words

    ReplyDelete